This costume was made of suffering, despair, and lots of ruffles! xD
The wig I started with is an Arda Chibi in Rose pink. I trimmed and fluffed the wig to her look. The fabrics used were Sachet pink Casa satin and probably some of the white too, Sunshine Yellow Casa Crepe, matte white and red satin and a lovely white lace from the local discount store. I managed to use a lot of scraps from my stash, including the darker pink stretch twill I used for the bows.
I drafted the petal skirt from a 3/4 circle skirt. I created the subtle white gradient and painted the shoes red with ColorTool spray (white first and then red to cover the original dark color of the shoe). I made the bias tape using my bias tape maker and red satin. I sewed it on top, mitered the corners, and sewed it invisibly by hand on the back. I also handsewed the rhinestones on it.
The underskirt is a 1.5 circle made from white satin, gathered, and the ruffle is gathered and sewed on separately.
I used my wedding dress bodice pattern as a base (McCalls 4775), but altered everything quite a bit. The pink straps on the sleeves sit at a weird angle, so I use fashion tape to attach them to my shoulders. Originally when I made the sleeves, I could barely move my arm, so I redid the gathers at the bottom with elastic. The darker pink ruffle is actually stretch lace with sequins and beads on it! I also ran into issues with the zipper, so I ended up running the zipper up through the left side and through the back side of the sleeve so it would open all the way up.
The petticoat started as my tea length wedding petticoat. It's a couple layers of gathered organza. I cut it in half to make it 4 layers and sewed it into a yoke. I took several spools of ribbon, ruffled them with my ruffler foot, and sewed them onto the bottom of the petticoat to create the "sea of ruffles" look Madoka has. Thanks to Rufflebutt's tutorial for this idea!
I bought the gloves and created a detachable cuff from the satin fabric. For the socks, I used my gathering food to gather the top of the lace and sewed it onto the sock with a stretch stitch while stretching it out.
The soul gem was just a quick one...perhaps I'll make a nicer one later. I just cut out a piece of expanded PVC, sanded and painted it gold, and glued on the pink cabochons which were magically in my stash. I attach it to my chest with fashion tape. Spirit gum is so messy, and tape works just as well!
Anime Expo '16 - I replaced the bottom of the skirt ruffle with a box pleat instead of gathered ruffle, and added some rhinestones in a few places.
SabotenCon '16 - I replaced the shoes since they hurt and the paint was cracking. I also made vinyl bows to match.
Including photos by Cospix, Akisa Creation, and Orange Slice Media