Link - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I was so torn when it came to who to chose to cosplay from this game. There were so many likable characters. I decided to go with Link first, but odds are I'll probably make Zelda as well. What can I say, I love this series. :)
Well this was kinda fun, allbeit a little repetitve. First off, I tea dyed the fabric so it was a little yellower / weathered and for my first try at it, I think they came out pretty good! I then patterned out the strips and used heat n bond to attach the orange and green accents. Many hours were spent appliqueing all of these designs. Once the designs were done I sewed the strips together to give it the "wrapped" look and made a pullover sleeve.
Not sure if this Link is in a motorcycle gang or what, but these so look like biker gloves to me. Gloves are always a pain, but at least I was able to use my sewing machine on these unlike my OoT gloves. Made out of a light, nearly stretchy vinyl for the majority of the glove, cut out a box, and sewed in the reverse side of the fabric for the back of the hand part.
I went back and forth on how to build this thing. Origianlly I was just going to make it out of worbla and be done with it, but then thought maybe I should try something new instead. So I made the base shape out of worbla and then used that as a pattern for a vinyl cover. I then cut all the designs out of a different type of vinyl and sewed that to the cover. Used another vinyl for the trim and then slid the worbla into the cover and hand sewed the whole thing shut. I'm actually lucky I'm working on OoT at the same time, it means I have a ton of different colored vinyls on hand.
The base started out at a Magnum from Arda Wigs in Ginger Blonde. I began by adding an entire package of wefts to the sides and the back for the ponytail. The wefts alone weren't quite enough so I ended up adding a small bit of rolled felt to the center of the ponytail. The styling was done by teasing each spike, spraying, drying, and then glueing the tip. The band is a small bit of Worbla painted in the exact same metallic aqua as the earrings.
Super easy. Straight pants with a waist band and a zipper done in a slightly stretchy cotton fabric.
These started out as a pair of super beat up old cowboy boots. I made the shaft of the boot out of the same vinyl I used for the gauntlets and added the band around the top. I then glued the boot cover to the boot base and called them done!
Pretty simple. I started out with a stretch cotton sateen in white, tea dyed it, appliqued the designs, and then sewed it into a fitted shirt. Done.
I found this fabric at Joanns and was so lucky that I did. Not sure exactly what it is, some kind of knit with a sheen, but the color is exactly what I wanted! Unfortunately it was a huge pain to work with. The heat n bond did not want to stay and the fabric frayed like nobody's business. I stuck with it though and was finally able to complete it.
The Master Sword:
This massive sword started out as a single piece of wood that was shaped for the blade and thinned at the hilt. I then began painstakingly rolling worbla scraps for all of the details. This process was slow and makes the sword really heavy, but it's super solid, which is what I wanted. The triforce details are cut and painted fun foam and the wrappings are a green leather cording. For the paint, I went back and forth on what colors to use... I eventually decided on Breath of the Wild colors for the wings and hand guard, but used Skyward Sword colors for the blade. Getting the blue gradient was a huge pain but I'm so happy with it.
Oh man, where to begin... I knew I wanted this thing to glow, so I did a bunch of research and found a pretty awesome tutorial on Youtube that really gave my some ideas. I made the base out of foam, covered it in worbla, and added fimo clay designs to the outside.For the main screen I started with a clear plastic that I painted the Sheikah eye on and added a blue vinyl to the back. The rest of the screens were much easier, just straight blue or orange vinyl backing. The handle is made out of a bubble wand with orange vinyl and worbla wrappings. Once all the building part of the process was done I was able to test the LED's to make sure I got the look I wanted. I ended up using two sets of warm white firefly lights. Then I worblaed the two halves together and painted it.
Made completely out of scrap fabrics! I had some black and grey moleskin left over from my TP Zelda cloak and thought using is for this would be a nice tie in. I used left over suedes for the other designs. This was probably one of the easiest appliqué projects I’ve done in a while. No circles! Yay!